March 02, 2016
How has it helped improve surgical care for patients?
• Dr. Lenke is the most widely published spinal deformity surgeon ever. He has published nearly 400 peer-reviewed research manuscripts, approximately 100 invited articles, and 125 book chapters. He has also edited 5 textbooks.
• He is the originator and lead author of the seminal paper: A New Classification of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: Treatment Based, which was published in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery in 2001. This paper was recently acknowledged as the most widely cited spinal deformity paper ever published.
- Reflecting Dr. Lenke’s expertise in both adult and pediatric spinal deformity surgery, he is currently the lead surgeon investigator in two major research projects:
- The Scoli-Risk 1 Study. This international investigation involves 15 centers in 9 countries and 51 surgeons. Dr. Lenke has enrolled more patients in the study than any other surgeon. The study will provide extraordinary insight into complications associated with complex adult spinal deformity surgery.
- The Fox Prospective Pediatric Spinal Deformity Study. Involving 25 surgeons from 13 US pediatric centers, Dr. Lenke has personally enrolled the most patients in the project. The results of the research will significantly impact how kids with severe spinal deformities will be treated for years to come.