About Dr. Lenke
Lawrence G. Lenke, MD: Titles & Locations
- Professor of Orthopedic Surgery
- Chief, Division of Spinal Surgery
- Director, Spinal Deformity Surgery
- Co-Director, Adult and Pediatric Comprehensive Spine Surgery Fellowship
- Columbia University Dept. of Orthopedic Surgery
- Surgeon-in-Chief at The Spine Hospital, NewYork-Presbyterian/Allen
Dr. Lenke is world-renowned for the surgical treatment of pediatric and adult patients with various forms of spinal anomalies, with expertise in the most complex deformities. Thus, he is a leading authority on such spinal deformities as scoliosis, kyphosis, flatback syndrome, high-grade spondylolisthesis, and major coronal and sagittal malalignment. His recent accomplishments also include:
Added to 2016 New York Super Doctors listings
In April, 2016, The Spine Hospital is honored at the New York-Presbyterian Annual Gala
In April, 2016, Dr. Lenke Chaired a Meeting "Live Spine Surgery from New York" which consisted of Live Surgery Demonstrations, Lectures, Cadaver Training and Case Discussion sessions for nearly 100 surgeons from the US and around the world
- In March, 2016, Dr. Lenke was honored by the American Association of Neurological Surgeons Joint Section Meeting as a Meritorious Award Winner for his contributions to Spinal Surgery
- Dr. Lenke has been listed in America’s Top Doctors for the past 10 years and Best Doctors in America the past 15 years.
- Dr. Lenke was honored with the North American Spine Society’s 2013 Leon Wiltse Award for excellence in leadership and/or clinical research in spine care.
- Also in 2013, Dr. Lenke was listed in Orthopedics This Week as one of “The Top 28 Spine Surgeons in North America”.
- He served as president of the Scoliosis Research Society 2010–2011, the oldest and most prestigious spine society in the world whose single focus is the advancement of care in patients with spinal deformity.
CURRENT ACADEMIC INTERESTS
His prolific clinical research has culminated in numerous publications (over 450), presentations (over 1000) as well as presiding as chair of over 100 spinal surgery courses worldwide has led to innovative treatments for his patients and many others globally.He has edited several textbooks on spinal deformity surgery, and serves as editor for such notable medical journals as:
- The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- The Spine Journal
- The Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques and
- The Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics
While president of the Scoliosis Research Society, he chaired a task force that led to the development of a new journal, Spine Deformity, which debuted in January 2013 as the official journal of the SRS. Dr. Lenke serves as one of the inaugural deputy editors of this new journal. Based on his past academic and clinical achievements, Dr. Lenke offers the latest and safest techniques, giving extra attention to neurologic issues, for surgical correction of even the most severe spinal deformities.
View article in Becker’s Spine Review:How to Move the Field Forward, with Dr. Lawrence Lenke >